I don't normally try to make garnishes, but this is one is quite simple and takes almost no effort.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Cut a piece of green onion between 1 - 1 1/2 inches long, on the diagonal.
- Take a hatpin and, starting in the middle, cut a slit in the green onion, moving from left to right.
- Continue making slits on that side.
- Repeat on the other side, starting in the middle and moving from right to left.
- Fluff the green onion slits with your fingers, and place the piece of green onion in cold water. This will help the ends curl nicely.
- Repeat with several other pieces of green onion, and set aside.
- Use on plates as a garnish.
- It's a good idea to make this garnish before preparing the rest of the meal. Otherwise, you'll need to clean the knife before cutting the green onion.
- You can make green onion brushes to spread hoisin sauce on the pancakes for Mu Shu Pork and Peking Duck.
What You Need
- Green onion stalks
- Bowl of cold water