There’s nothing worse than going to all the work of opening a coconut, just to discover the meat is rancid. Here are a few tips to help you choose a good coconut at the supermarket.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Look the coconut over carefully. Do not pick one that has any leakage out of the three black eyes at the top.
- Pick up the coconut with one hand. It should be fairly heavy for its size.
- Heft the coconut up and down with your hand to see if you can feel the liquid (the coconut juice or water) sloshing around.
- Compare coconuts for differences in weight and amount of liquid.
- If possible, try to find one that has been scored around the middle - this will make it easier to open.
- Sometimes coconuts can carry misleading labels suggesting all you need to do is pierce the three eyes at the top. You always need to process the meat to get the milk.