Simple steps for reaching the fragrant, lush fruit lying beneath the skin.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- First cut off the stem of the mango.
- If you look at the mango you will see two flat sides and two more roundish sides. Use a paring knife to slice off the flesh on the flat sides, working around the long flat seed in the middle.
- You will now have three sections, including the middle section containing the flat seed. Pare away the skin in the middle section, and cut the flesh surrounding the seed into bite-sized pieces.
- Take one of the other sections and score the fruit into cubes - cutting through it without cutting through the skin.
- Push inward on the skin, turn inside out and push the fruit out.
- Repeat with the other section.
- Use underripe mangoes when preparing mango chutney - they will hold their shape better during the cooking process.
- The skin of the mango is not edible.
What You Need
- Paring knife
- Paper towels