Boiling rice is harder than it looks. Often the finished product is sticky or "gluey." Here's a sure-fire way to produce rice that's light and fluffy.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Rinse the rice in water to get rid of excess starch.
- For every cup of rice, add 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring the rice to boil, uncovered, at medium heat.
- When boiling, turn the heat down to medium low.
- Place the lid on the pot, keeping it tilted to allow steam to escape.
- When you can see holes or "craters" in the rice, put the lid on tight.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Fluff up rice and serve.
- For best results, use long grain rice.
- For a bit of variety, try one of the scented rices, such as jasmine. The amount of the water required and the cooking time will be less than for other types of long grain rice.
- If you still need a bit of help, here are easy step by step photo instructions on how to cook rice.