This simple technique for roasting Sichuan peppercorns will add an interesting flavor to your meals.
Time Required: 15 minutes
- Place Sichuan peppercorns in a frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Heat peppercorns, shaking pan occasionally, until they begin to darken and become fragrant.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- When cooled, grind peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, or crush with a rolling pin.
- Use as called for in a recipe, or store in a covered jar until needed.
Recipe: Szechuan Peppercorn Salt
- Instead of grinding the peppercorns after roasting, you can store them in a covered jar and grind when needed.
- The length of time it takes to roast the peppercorns will depend on the amount you are roasting. It is important not to let them burn.