Serves 3 - 4 as a main dish.
Chinese Recipes Index
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (available at Asian markets)
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 green onions (spring onions), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
2. While the beef is marinating, prepare the other ingredients: Combine the oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, and water in a small bowl. Rinse the bamboo shoots in warm water to remove any tinny taste and drain. Finely chop the garlic. Cut the bell pepper in half and remove the seeds. Cut into thin strips. Clean the green onions and slice on the diagonal into thirds.
3. Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add half the garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 10 seconds), and add half the beef. Let the beef brown and then stir-fry at high heat until the beef is about 80 percent cooked. Remove from the wok and cook the remainder of the beef. Add a small amount of rice wine or sherry to the beef while cooking if desired.
4. Wipe out the wok and add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the remainder of the garlic. Stir-fry for 10 seconds and add the green pepper. Stir-fry for a minute and then add the bamboo shoots. Splash a bit of water, soy sauce or chicken broth on the vegetables if they begin to dry out while stir-frying. (Total time for stir-frying the vegetables should be about 2 minutes).
5. Add the sauce to the wok and bring to a boil. Add the cooked beef and the green onion back into the wok. Stir-fry for another minute to mix everything together. Serve hot with rice.
More Chinese Beef Recipes
More Stir-fry Recipes
Main Chinese Food Recipe File
Top Beef Stir-fry Recipes