Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame seed oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 thin slice ginger
- 2 - 3 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons water, as needed, to make a paste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil for stir-frying
2. While the beef is marinating, prepare the vegetables. Peel and chop the onion. Blanch the peas in boiling water for 1 minute. Rinse in cold water and drain thoroughly. Combine the chicken broth with the dark soy sauce and set aside.
3. Preheat the wok on medium-high heat (the wok is ready when a couple of drops of water sizzle when added to the wok). Add 2 tablespoons oil to the wok, drizzling to coat the sides. When the oil is sizzling, add the ginger. Cook for 2 3 minutes, until the ginger is browned. Discard the ginger.
4. Add the beef to the wok (to avoid overcrowding the wok, cook the beef in 2 batches if needed). Sear the beef for about 30 seconds, then stir-fry until it is about 80 percent cooked and changes color. Remove the beef from the wok. Turn the heat down to medium.
5. Add the onion to the wok. Let the onion cook for 2 minutes to brown, then add the curry powder. Add enough water to make a paste. Let the onion cook for a couple of minutes, then add the peas.
6. Add the beef. Return the heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth and dark soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Stir in the salt and sugar. Cook for about another 3 minutes and serve hot.
More Beef Curry Recipes
Low Carb Chinese Beef Curry - a few simple changes turn this into a low carb dish, and lowers the calories.
Cantonese Beef Curry - a quick and easy curry dish.