Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound beef (flank or top sirloin steak), thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 bok choy stalks, leaves separated, leaves and stalks cut diagonally
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 piece ginger, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- juice from the stir-fried meat
- Oil for stir-frying
While beef is marinating, prepare the vegetables and sauce.
Heat wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the beef. Stir-fry until it is nearly cooked. Remove from the wok and drain on paper towels.
Clean out the wok, saving 2 tablespoons juice to add to the sauce, or more if desired.
Add 2 - 3 tablespoons oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry briefly and add the onions. Stir-fry until onions are tender, then add the bok choy stalks. Stir-fry a bit longer, then add the mushrooms and finally the bok choy leaves.
Push the vegetables up to the side and add the sauce in the middle, turning up the heat. Mix the sauce in with vegetables. Return the beef to the wok. Mix well and stir in the green onions if using. Serve hot with rice.
Reader Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Comments: "Superb meal! Better than some meals I've had in restaurants. I liked it and so did my parents. I'm only a child so it's not hard to do. Yummy sauce!” (Guide Note: The amount that your child can help will depend on their age and cooking experience - the recipe requires cutting beef and vegetables for stir-frying)."
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
"There are a few too many ingredients but the recipe is rather good."
Top Beef Stir-fry Recipes