The recipe calls for adding a small amount of rice wine or dry sherry to the stew, but you can substitute rice vinegar or even red wine vinegar if desired.
Note: Total cooking time will depend on whether or not you need to brown the beef in 2 batches.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil or other vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced or crushed garlic
- 2 pounds stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 4 cups water, or 1 cup beef broth and 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup whole water chestnuts, halved
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 14 fluid ounce can sliced baby corn
- 1 cup chopped bok choy (baby bok choy if possible)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Freshly ground black or white pepper, to taste
2. Add the water (and the beef broth if using). Heat to boiling. Stir in the rice wine or sherry, hoisin sauce and tomato paste. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the water chestnuts, carrots, and baby corn. Bring back to boiling, turn down the heat and simmer for 30 more minutes. Add the bok choy and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the light and dark soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch. Turn up the heat and add the cornstarch mixture to the stew, stirring quickly to thicken. Taste and add black or white pepper if desired. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve over rice. Beef With Chestnut Stew serves 4 - 6.
More Chinese Stew Recipes
- an easy to make recipe Vegetarian Country Stew - this recipe calls for tofu puffs, chewy squares of deep-fried tofu
Red Cooked Beef in Soy Sauce
Beef Braised in Soy Sauce
Red Cooked Pork - with beer, from Chef Martin Yan
Soy Sauce Chicken (Red Cooked Chicken)
Chinese and Asian Stew Recipes - a selection of Asian stews, including Korean Bulgogi and a Japanese Chicken Cream Stew
More Chinese Beef Recipes