- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chinese fermented black beans, rinsed, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges (1/2 – 3/4 cup)
- 1 green pepper, cut into triangles
- 1 carrot, sliced on the diagonal about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
2. While the chicken is marinating, if you have not already done so, cut up the vegetables (the onion, green bell pepper and carrot) and aromatics (the ginger, garlic and spring onion). In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water to make a "slurry." Set aside.
3. Using a 14-inch flat bottom wok, heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add half of the chopped black beans, spring onion, ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for a few seconds until aromatic. Add the chicken thighs (remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon. Discard any excess marinade). Stir-fry for 4 – 5 minutes, until the chicken changes color and is nearly cooked through.
4. Push the chicken to the sides of the wok and add the remaining black bean/spring onion/ginger/garlic mixture in the middle. Add the carrot. Stir-fry for 1 -2 minutes, then add 1/4 cup chicken broth. Cover and let cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the onion and green pepper and the remaining 1/4 cup broth. Cover and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the sugar. Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add into the wok, stirring quickly to thicken. Serve immediately with cooked rice.
More Black Bean Sauce Recipes:
Beef With Spicy Black Bean Sauce
Clams in Black Bean Sauce
Pork With Bitter Melon
Shrimp in Black Bean Sauce - a quick and easy dish using black bean sauce
Spareribs in Black Bean Sauce - with fermented black beans
Spareribs With Black Bean Sauce - with prepared black bean sauce
Steamed Clams in Garlic Beer Sauce - from chef Martin Yan
Steamed Trout in Black Bean Sauce