- 1 kg (2.2 pounds) chicken meat (chicken thighs are good)
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons black (dark) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups rice, rinsed if needed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying
- 10 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked until softened, stalks removed, caps cut in half or crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black (dark) soy sauce
2. Combine the rice and water in the rice cooker. Cook the rice in the usual way.
3. Heat the oil in the pan. Stir-fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant.
4. Add the marinated chicken and the mushrooms. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes, stirring the chicken and mushrooms together, and adding water if the mixture begins to dry out.
5. When the rice starts to boil, stir in the salt and black (dark) soy sauce to taste. Cover and continue cooking.
6. Once the rice is cooked, place the chicken mixture on top of the rice in the rice cooker. Cover, and let the rice stand for 15 minutes. (If desired, you can add scallions at this point for extra flavor).
7. Fluff up the rice, season with salt and pepper if desired, and serve.
More Chicken in Rice Recipes
Chicken in Rice - in this recipe the chicken is cooked with the rice.
Hainanese Chicken Rice
This recipe was submitted by "Tigerfish." Reprinted with permission.