- 1 small whole fryer chicken
- 1 cup either dark soy sauce or Mushroom flavored soy sauce (Pearl River Bridge is a good brand)
- 1/3 cup rock sugar or substitute with 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 6 whole star anise
- 1 thick slice fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions, green parts only
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup cooking liquid
2.Add the soy sauce, rock sugar or granulated sugar, star anise, ginger and enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat and cook at a medium boil for 20 minutes, making sure to add boiling water as needed to keep the chicken covered.
3.Turn off the heat and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid (use aluminum foil to help seal the pot if necessary). Let it cool completely in the covered pot. Remove the cooled chicken from the pot and drain. Do not discard the cooking liquid.
4.Using a cleaver or a large knife, cut the chicken into serving pieces. Arrange the pieces on a serving platter, skin side up, so that it resembles a whole chicken.
5.Add 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Brush the sesame seed oil over the skin and sprinkle the scallion on top. Serve at room temperature or chilled if you like.
Recipe submitted by "Ha Wa Ying." Reprinted with permission.