Guide Note: Although not authentic Chinese, I have included this recipe because it is submitted by a reader, and this is a good basic recipe. Please review it in that spirit; obviously if you are seeking something more authentic you'll want to skip this one.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato/vegetable juice (such as V8) or tomato sauce diluted with water
- Salt, pepper, or other spices, to taste
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings or a mixed combination
2. Add the chicken.
3. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours (overcooking is difficult for this recipe!). The chicken can also be cooked on high heat for first 1 1/2 hours and then turned to low (use your best judgement). The Chicken is done if the meat falls off the bone when removed.
4. Serve the chicken over rice along with steamed vegetables for a full meal.
This recipe was submitted by a reader, Arin Marcus. Reprinted with permission.