Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 dried Shiitake or Chinese black mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dried lily buds
- 4 dried bean curd sticks
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots
- 6 fresh water chestnuts
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 4 ounces snow peas
- 1/4 cup canned gingko nuts
- 1 knuckle of ginger, crushed
- 4 tablespoons reserved mushroom soaking liquid or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, as needed
- Salt, Accent or MSG to taste
2. Slice the bamboo shoots. Peel and finely chop the water chestnuts. Peel the carrots, cut in half, and cut lengthwise into thin strips. Shred the Napa cabbage. String the snow peas and cut in half. Drain the gingko nuts. Crush the ginger.
3. Combine the reserved mushroom soaking liquid or vegetarian stock with the Chinese rice wine or sherry, dark soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Set aside.
4. Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the heated wok.
5. When the oil is hot, add the carrots. Stir-fry for 1 minute, and add the dried mushrooms and lily buds. Stir-fry for 1 minute, and add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, snow peas and ginger. Stir in the shredded cabbage and gingko nuts. Add the bean curd sticks.
6. Add the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat and let the vegetables simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt or other seasonings as desired. Serve hot.