Serves 4 - 6
- 2 1/2 pounds lo bak (Chinese white radish), or substitute turnips
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups long-grain rice flour
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon scallion, chopped fine
- 4 dried black mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp, chopped fine, soaked in 1 tablespoon sherry
- 4 Chinese sausages, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chinese parsley (cilantro) chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Mix rice flour and turnips in bowl until consistency of thick oatmeal. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix well. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok. Stir-fry scallion, mushrooms, shrimps and sausages and add to turnip mixture.
Add salt, sugar, and pepper. Mix thoroughly
Grease a 6 inch by 9 inch cake pan. Pour mixture into it. Sprinkle with parsley and sesame seeds. Place on rack in steamer. Steam over briskly boiling water 1 hour.
When cold, refrigerate overnight.
To serve, slice 1/4 inch thick, 2 inches wide, and 3 inches long. Fry slices in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown. Serve hot.
Reprinted with permission from Madame Wong's Long-life Chinese Cookbook
More Chinese New Year Recipes
Main Chinese Recipes File