More Chinese Soup Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 6-ounce skinless, boneless, chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, or as needed
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock, or 4 cups storebought chicken broth mixed with 1 cup water
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and/or pepper, to taste
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the spinach leaves. Wash the spinach leaves and cut off the stems. Blanch the leaves in a large pot of boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes, or until the leaves turn a bright green. Plunge the blanched leaves briefly in cold water first to stop the cooking process, and then drain thoroughly.
Bring the chicken stock or chicken broth and water to a boil. Stir in the soy sauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
Add the chicken strips. Bring back to a boil and cook until the chicken turns white and is cooked through. Add the ginger and spinach leaves and bring back to a boil. Stir in the soy sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Serve hot. Serves 4 to 6.