Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 ounces fish fillets, such as halibut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 - 1 large bunch fresh watercress, depending on your preference
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 1 green onion (Spring Onion, scallion)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
2. Wash the watercress and pat dry. Cut the roots off the watercress, leaving about 1 inch. Roughly chop the watercress into 1 inch pieces.
3. Finely chop the ginger to make 1 teaspoon. Finely chop the green onion, using both the white and green parts.
4. In a large saucepan or wok, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil. Stir in the sugar and ginger. Let simmer for a minute, then add the fish.
5. Bring back to a boil, then add the watercress and the green onion. Boil for 2 - 3 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the watercress leaves are bright green and wilted.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt and/or pepper if desired. Serve hot.
Top Chinese Soup Recipes