Serves 4 - 5
- 2/3 cup lean ground beef
- Seasonings for Beef:
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon water
- a few drops sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 - 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water (optional)
- 2 eggs or egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, green parts only, washed, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
While the beef is marinating, bring the chicken stock or broth to a boil. Stir in the marinated ground beef, using chopsticks to break up any lumps. Add the sugar and pepper. Bring the soup back to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for a few minutes to allow the ground beef to cook. Taste and add extra salt if needed.
If desired, add the extra 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with water and stir to thicken.
Very slowly pour in the egg whites in a steady stream. Use a fork to gently stir the eggs in a clockwise direction until they form thin streams or ribbons.
Garnish with green onion and serve.
Top Chinese Soup Recipes