Serves 3 to 4.
Chinese Soup Recipes
- 1 cup winter melon (1/2 pound)
- Water to boil winter melon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 Chinese dried black mushrooms
- 2 - 3 slices ginger
- 1/4 cup cooked ham, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, green part only, washed and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
2. Reconstitute the Chinese dried mushrooms by soaking in hot water for 20 - 30 minutes until softened. Squeeze out any excess water.
3. Place the winter melon in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the winter melon is tender.
4. Add the chicken broth, mushrooms, ginger and cooked ham. Add seasonings as desired. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add green onion for garnish. Serve hot.
Purchase a whole winter melon (about 8 - 10 pounds), cut off the top, remove the seeds and pulp, place the other ingredients inside and steam for 1 - 2 hours. This makes for a fancier looking dish.
Add barbecued pork and/or shrimp.
Try adding other vegetables, such as bamboo shoots, carrots, or silk squash.