- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3/4 cup snow pea pods
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 - 3 tablespoons water, as needed to make a paste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
2. While the beef is marinating, prepare the sauce and vegetables. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients and set aside. Peel and chop the onion.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the beef, laying it flat in the pan. Sear the beef and then stir-fry briefly until it is cooked medium rare (pink inside). Remove the beef from the pan. Reduce the heat to medium.
4. Add the onion. Stir briefly, then sprinkle the curry powder on top. Add enough water to make a paste.
5. Add the snow peas and then the beef. Return the heat to medium-high. Add the sauce and bring it to a boil. Cook for about another 3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Serve hot over rice.
Nutritional Breakdown (based on 4 servings) Each serving contains: Calories 290, 7 g Carbohydrates, 25 g Protein, 17 g Total Fat (6 g Saturated Fat), 58 mg Cholesterol, 2 g Fibre, 550 mg Sodium, 1258 mg Potassium. A good source of potassium.