*Chile paste with garlic and Szechuan peppercorn are both available at Chinese and Asian markets.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- 1/4 cup minced scallions (green onions)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns, toasted (see note) and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Chopped scallions (green onions) for garnish
2. Add the remaining ingredients (except the chopped scallion garnish) to the bowl, and mash with a fork until just smooth but not mushy.
3. Spoon the mixture into the reserved whites, or pipe it in with a pastry tube. Sprinkle with the chopped scallions.
Note: Toast peppercorns in a small nonstick skillet over low heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
Yield: 12 hors d'oeuvres
Recipe excerpted from The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins (Workman Publishing).
Reprinted with permission.