More Asparagus Recipes:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tsp Thai red chile paste*
- 1 tsp fish sauce*
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 6 ounces chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Cornstarch, as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chunk of ginger (about 1-inch thick), peeled & minced
- 1 - 2 Serrano peppers, seeds removed and minced, WASH hands thoroughly
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (reserve tips)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into pieces the same size
- 2 scallions (green onions, spring onions), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Sesame oil, to taste
- Peanut oil for deep-frying and stir-frying
Dredge chicken pieces in corn starch, and deep fry in a small amount of peanut oil, remove when brown, and set aside. Put garlic, ginger, and Serrano peppers in a clean wok, in a small amount of peanut oil, and cook until fragrant. Add the asparagus pieces, saving tips for later.
Stir fry and add the red pepper. Continue to stir fry, then add the chile paste, bean sauce, and oyster sauce mixture. Add the cooked chicken and cook for about 1 minute, then add the reserved asparagus tips.
If desired, add 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed in 1 teaspoon water to thicken mixture. Add the scallions, sprinkle with sesame oil, and serve. Serves 3 to 4 as part of a multicourse meal.
Add the scallions, sprinkle with sesame oil, and serve.
*Thai chili paste and fish sauce are available in Asian markets or stores that sell ingredients used in Southeast Asian cooking.