- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed ginger juice
- 1 level tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, as needed
- 1 cup vegetables for stir-frying (your choice)
Prepare the remaining ingredients while the chicken is marinating. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside. Finely chop the garlic. Wash and chop the green onion on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
Roast the cashews in a heavy skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan continuously so that the nuts do not burn. Roast for 5 minutes, or until the cashews are browned. Remove from the pan.
Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the chicken cubes. Stir-fry until they change color and are 80 percent cooked through. Remove from the wok.
Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the stir-frying vegetables. Stir-fry as needed, then push up to the sides of the wok. Add the sauce and the chicken. Heat everything through. Serve the chicken and vegetables with the roasted cashews and the green onion as garnish.