Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, 7 to 8 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry white wine
- Dash of freshly ground black or white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, any variety
- 5 canned straw mushrooms
- 4 ounces canned bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
Add the marinade ingredients to the chicken strips, add the cornstarch last and using your fingers to mix it in. Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
While the chicken is marinating, prepare the vegetables and sauce. Wipe the fresh mushrooms with a damp cloth and slice. Rinse the canned straw mushrooms, pat dry and slice. Rinse the bamboo shoots under warm running water, drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
To prepare the sauce, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup chicken broth with the dark soy sauce, 4 teaspoons oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Set aside.
Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the marinated chicken. Stir-fry until the chicken changes color and is nearly cooked through. Remove from the wok.
Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the chopped fresh mushrooms. Stir-fry until the water begins to come out (2 to 3 minutes). Add 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth. Continue stir-frying until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Push the fresh mushrooms up to the sides of the wok. Add 2 more tablespoons oil in the middle. Add the minced ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the straw mushrooms. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the bamboo shoots.
Move the vegetables up to the side of the wok. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and add to the middle of the wok. Stir quickly to thicken. When the sauce is thick and bubbling, add the chicken back into the pan. Mix everything together, cook for another 30 seconds, and serve hot.