- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews
- Oil for stir-frying, as needed
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1 - 2 inch pieces
- 1 pound mushrooms (shiitake, button or your choice), stems removed, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup carrots (sliced into 2 - 3 inch strips)
- 1 can whole water chestnuts
- Stir-fry Sauce (To make the stir-fry sauce, combine the following six ingredients in a bowl and set aside):
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (you can substitute sesame oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 spring onions, washed, white parts sliced very thin (reserve green sections)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups cooked white rice (cook per package directions)
In a dry wok over medium heat, add the cashews. Toast for about 1 minute, stirring continually until toasted slightly (do not burn). Remove cashews.
Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in the wok. Add the chicken; stir-fry until lightly browned, with no pink (about 5 - 6 minutes). Remove the chicken and put on plate.
Stir-fry the mushrooms, carrots and water chestnuts for about 3 minutes. Add cooked chicken, cashews and stir-fry sauce. Stir well. Cover the wok and let the ingredients cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the cornstarch and water mixture, stirring to thicken. Remove from the heat. Serve with the white rice.