Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 38 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 TB vegetable or peanut oil, for stir-frying
- 2 thin slices ginger
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, or to taste
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- Rice wine or sherry, water, or chicken broth as needed
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half, seeds removed and cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. When the oil is hot, add one slice of ginger. Let brown for 2 or 3 minutes, then remove the ginger (this is to flavor the oil). Add the chicken and sear for a minute, then stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is nearly cooked. Remove and wipe the wok clean.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok or pan. When the oil is hot, add the remaining slice of ginger, brown and remove. Add the onion. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, until it begins to soften, stirring in the paprika while cooking.
4. Push the onion to the sides and add the mushrooms in the middle, stirring in a small amount of rice wine, water or chicken broth as needed. Stir in the cashews. After a minute, stir in the red bell peppers. Stir-fry for another minute (total stir-fry time should be 2 – 3 minuntes).
5. Add the chicken back into the pan. Stir in the dark soy sauce and sugar. Cook for another minute to heat through, then remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve hot.