Sesame Chicken serves 3 - 4, or 5 - 6 as part of a multi-course meal.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or dry sherry
- a few drops of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Sauce for Sesame Chicken:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 TB dark soy sauce
- 2 TB sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste, or more if desired
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (see recipe directions for link to how to toast)
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups peanut oil for deep-frying
Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
To prepare the sauce: mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
To deep-fry the chicken: add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.
Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve the Sesame Chicken with rice.
Sesame Chicken Feedback - other readers share their views
Chinese Chicken Recipes
Main Chinese Recipe File