*Makes approximately 28 - 30 balls.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup glutinous rice (also called sweet or sticky rice, available at Chinese or Asian markets)
- 1 pound pork or ground pork
- 1 large green onion (spring onion) minced (at least 3 tablespoons)
- 2 water chestnuts, minced
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, or as needed
2. Mince or grind the pork if not using ground pork.
3. In a large bowl, combine the pork, soy sauce, sherry, green onion, water chestnuts, salt, pepper, egg white and cornstarch.
4. Prepare the steamer for steaming.
5. Take about 1 tablespoon of the ground pork mixture and form into a ball. Roll lightly over the glutinous rice and place on a heatproof plate. Continue with the rest of the pork mixture, placing the balls 1/2-inch apart. (You will need at least 2 plates). 6. Place the plates in a steamer container or on a bamboo basket in a wok. Cover and steam the pearl balls over boiling water for between 25 - 35 minutes, until they are cooked through. Steam in two batches if needed.
7. Serve the pearl balls hot with soy sauce.
Add a few softened Chinese black mushrooms and/or minced ginger to the pork mixture.
More Dim Sum Recipes
More Chinese Recipes