- 4 large dried black mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium (about 6 ounces) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 slice ginger
- 1/4 cup barbequed pork (or cooked ham)
- 4 ounces shrimp
- 1/4 cup canned bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup canned water chestnuts
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup reserved mushroom soaking liquid
- 1 TB dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few drops sesame oil
- Crispy Rice (see directions for recipe)
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the chicken and slice ginger and briefly blanch the chicken, just until it changes color. Drain and cut the chicken into thin slices.
Bring the chicken stock or broth and the reserved mushroom liquid to a boil. Add the chicken and pork, shrimp and the vegetables. Let simmer for a few minutes, then add the soy sauce, sherry, and the salt and pepper. Drizzle with the sesame oil. Bring back to a boil and then let simmer for a few more minutes. Place the soup in a large serving bowl and keep warm.
Heat wok and add oil for deep-frying. When oil is ready, add the Crispy Rice. Deep-fry until it puffs and turns brown, then drain on paper towels.
Add the rice to the soup at the table, so that guests can hear the rice make popping sounds when added to the broth.
To Make Crispy Rice
Preparation Time: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: 8 - 10 squares
Rinse 1 cup of long or medium grain rice.
In a pot, add 1 1/2 cups water (1 1/4 cups for medium grain rice) to the rice and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from burner and allow to cool.
While rice is cooling, preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the rice on a baking sheet, making sure that it is about, but no more than, 1/4-inch thick.
Bake the rice for 50 - 55 minutes, until it is dry.
Cool and cut into 2-inch squares.
Store in a canister until needed. Do not freeze.