Basic Fried Rice - photo instructions
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 8 ounces flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- Pinch of white pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 TB peanut or vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cups cold leftover cooked rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed or fresh peas
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 - 2 green onions (scallion, spring onion), finely chopped
Lightly beat the eggs with the salt.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a preheated wok on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic. Stir-fry for a few seconds until aromatic, then add the onion. Stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes, until it starts to brown and soften. Add the beef and let brown briefly, then stir-fry until it changes color.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the rice, stirring and turning it over with a spatula to heat through and break up any clumps.
Add the peas and shredded carrot, stirring to combine.
Make a room in one corner of the wok and pour in the beaten egg. Scramble the egg and then combine with the fried rice. Stir in the chopped green onion. Do a taste test and add a bit more salt and/or pepper if desired. Serve hot.