Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Yields about 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in enough water to make a slurry
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
2. In a saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat (about 6 on the dial). Add the minced ginger and cook for about 1 minute, stirring, until it is fragrant and starting to brown.
3. Add sauce and bring to a boil, whisking to dissolve sugar. Adjust heat down as needed. (Note: at this point if you want you can remove the pan from the heat and pour the sauce through a mesh strainer to remove the minced ginger, then return to stove top).
4. Re-stir cornstarch/water slurry. Turn up heat and pour the slurry into the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Reheat before using.
More Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipes
Sweet and Sour Sauce - with ketchup and brown sugar
Sweet and Sour Sauce - with two types of rice vinegar
Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Sauce - uses vegetarian Worcestershire sauce