Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound tiger prawns, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup oil, for poaching prawns
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 sprig curry leaves, or to taste (each sprig has about 16 leaves)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste with garlic, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Heat 1 cup oil to 350 degrees. When the oil is hot, add the prawns. Briefly cook the prawns in the hot oil until they turn pink (about 1 minute). Remove and drain on paper towels.
Melt the butter in a wok or heavy frying pan over medium-high to high heat. Add the curry leaves. Cook briefly, then stir in the oil-poached prawns, Chinese rice wine, sugar, and chile paste.
Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then add the coconut milk. Heat through. Taste and sprinkle with black pepper, if desired. To serve, garnish the butter prawns with the chopped cilantro leaves.
Each serving contains: Calories 354, 2 g Carbohydrates, 19 g Protein, 30 g Fat, 237 mg Cholesterol, trace Fibre, 210 mg Sodium, 210 mg Potassium.