More Black Bean Sauce Recipes
- 2 pounds clams, such as littleneck or cherrystone
- 2 tablespoons Chinese fermented black beans, rinsed to remove excess salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste, or to taste, optional
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 Chinese leek (a large scallion), white parts only, lightly smashed and cut into 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 green onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2. Mash the rinsed fermented black beans with the back of a cleaver or wooden spoon. Stir in chili paste if using.
3. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients (chicken broth or stock, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, and Asian sesame oil).
4. Heat oil in a preheated wok over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic, and Chinese leek if using. Stir for about 10 seconds, then add the black beans and stir for about 15 seconds.
5. Add the clams. Stir-fry for 1 - 2 minutes, splashing with the rice wine. You may start to hear the popping sounds of the clams opening, depending on the size and specific type of clams you are using. Add the broth. Turn the heat down, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes until all the clams have opened. Stir in the green onion.
6. Remove the clams from the wok to a platter, discarding any that did not open. Pour the sauce over the clams. (If you like, before pouring you can thicken the sauce with a mixture of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/4 cup water: add the cornstarch/water mixture to the sauce, turn the heat back up and heat the sauce to boiling, stirring quickly until it is thickened). Serve the clams immediately with noodles or rice.
More Chinese Seafood Recipes
Main Chinese Food Recipe File