This is a basic recipe for Braised Beef - feel free to add a few whole cloves of star anise or other seasonings if you have them, or to substitute 1 cup of the water with beef broth if desired.
- 1 1 ½ pounds boned chuck roast or a thick steak
- 1 pound daikon radish, regular radishes or turnips
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- Pepper to taste, optional
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt, optional
2. Combine the dark soy sauce, rice wine or sherry and green onion in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pot on medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and then the beef. Cook for 4 5 minutes to brown the beef, turning it over at least once.
4. Stir in the soy sauce mixture and allow to cook for a minute. Add the water and bring to a boil. (Add the pepper at this time if using). Turn down the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour (in simmering the temperature is just below the boiling point).
5. Add the radish and stir in the sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, add more pepper and/or salt if desired.