- 8 ounces fresh egg noodles or dried noodles
- 1/2 tsp Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 pound peeled, deveined shrimp
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 1/2 green onions (spring onions, scallions), white and green parts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 TB light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp chile paste, or to taste
- 1 1/2 TB vegetable or peanut oil, for stir-frying
2. Rinse the shrimp in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the tails from the shrimp if needed. In a medium saucepan, bring enough water to cover the shrimp to a boil. Cook the shrimp in the boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
3. Rinse the mung bean sprouts and green onion and drain thoroughly. (Note: this can be done earlier in the day, giving the vegetables more time to drain). Finely chop the green onion. Peel and mince the garlic.
4. Combine the light soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar and chile paste in a small bowl. Set aside.
5. Heat a wok or heavy skillet and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and the noodles. Stir-fry for a minute, and then stir in the shrimp and mung bean sprouts. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and swirl it into the pan. Stir in the green onion. Stir-fry for 1 - 2 minutes to heat everything through. Serve hot.