- 3/4 pound peeled, deveined shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons white rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil for stir-frying, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup de-seeded, diced tomato
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, optional
- 2 - 3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, optional
In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk and rice vinegar. Whisk in the honey, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the shrimp and the salt. Stir-fry the shrimp for about 2 minutes, until they turn pink. Remove from the wok.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. When the oil is hot, add the diced tomato. Stir-fry for a minute, then push to the sides and add the shrimp back into the pan. Stir-fry the shrimp for another minute, splashing with a bit of Chinese rice wine or dry sherry if desired. Push to the sides with the tomato.
Whisk the sauce again and pour into the middle of the wok, stirring quickly to thicken. Stir-fry the sauce with the shrimp and tomato for another minute to mix everything together. Stir in the chopped parsley or cilantro if desired. Serve immediately.
More Chinese Seafood Recipes
Main Chinese Recipes File