Spareribs are slowly simmered in soy sauce, rice wine and seasonings in this easy to make recipe. If you have time, blanch the spareribs first in a pot of boiling water and drain before cooking in the Dutch oven. Serve with rice or noodles. Serves 4 to 6.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 2 lbs pork spareribs, cut into 1 or 2 rib sections
- 1 1/2 cups water or stock, as needed
- 2 slices ginger, crushed
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or 1 tablespoon light and 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 - 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar, as desired
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
Heat the oil on in a Dutch oven, on high heat. Add the ribs and brown on both sides (about 5 minutes total cooking time). Add the water or stock, crushed ginger, and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover, turn the heat down to low and simmer for at least 1 hour, or until the ribs are tender, adding more water or stock as needed. If desired, garnish with sliced scallions, and shredded carrot before serving.