Yield: 2 1/2 cups sauce
- 6 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup mashed, black bean sauce, or more to taste
- 18 ounces tomato purée
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground anise
- 10 ounces (5/8 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons puréed fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Shade (red food coloring, optional)
- 3 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
2. Cut the ribs into serving size pieces and place them in a glass dish.
3. In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients thoroughly. Spread the mixture on the ribs and let them sit for 4 to 6 hours at room temperature, or covered, overnight in the refrigerator if you prefer.
4. Set a rack over a roasting pan with 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water in it. Remove the ribs from the marinade and place them on the rack. Cook the ribs until they are done, about 30 to 40 minutes. Turn and baste them every 10 minutes during the cooking.
(This recipe is reprinted with the permission from Finger Lickin' Rib Stickin' Great Tastin' Barbecue by Jane Butel. You can purchase the book through the author's web site at http://www.janebutel.com ).