- 2 pounds pork spareribs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Oil for stir-frying
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 4 teaspoons water, optional
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce with garlic, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup water or chicken broth (low-sodium broth is best)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Mince the ginger. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
Heat the wok on medium-high to high heat and add oil. When oil is ready, add the ginger and stir-fry until aromatic (about 15 seconds). Add the spareribs, stir-frying until they are lightly browned. Add the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. While the ingredients are cooking, mix together the cornstarch and water if you are going to use it. Once the ingredients are finished simmering, give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add, stirring to thicken. Serve with white rice.
Spareribs With Black Bean Sauce - made with fermented black beans.