Serves 4 to 6.
More Spareribs Recipes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 pounds baby back spareribs
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans (also called salted black beans)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 small red chili pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- a few drops sesame oil
- 2 scallions (spring onion, green onion) cut into 3 - 4 pieces
Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the spareribs and stir-fry until browned (4 to 5 minutes). Remove.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, if needed. Add the chopped red chili and the mashed bean mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic.
Add the spareribs back into the wok and mix with the bean mixture. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice wine or dry sherry and sugar. Turn down the heat and braise, covered, until the ribs are tender (about 10 minutes).
Turn off the heat and stir in a few drops of sesame oil. Serve garnished with the scallion.