Another Mapo Doufu Recipe
- Marinade for Ground Pork or Beef:
- 1 tablespoon Chinese salted black beans
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine, whiskey, or dry sherry
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 fingerlength of fresh ginger (about 1 inch)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound ground pork or ground beef
- 1 pound regular tofu (medium firmness)
- 1 leek or 3 green onions (spring onions)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, as needed
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled and cut into thin pieces
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoons chile paste, or to taste (or very hot chilis to taste)
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into diamond shapes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Freshly ground Szechuan pepper, to taste
2. Cut the tofu (bean curd) into 1/2 inch (1 cm) square cubes, and blanch for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and drain.
3. Chop the leek or green onions into short lengths (1 centimeter).
4. Heat a wok and add the oil. When the oil is ready, add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until they begin to brown. Add the marinated pork.
5. Stir-fry the pork until it darkens. Add the salt and stir. Add the chili paste or hot chilis. Stir-fry briefly, then add the stock and the bean curd.
6. Turn down the heat and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper and the leek or green onions, and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
7. While cooking, mix together the cornstarch, water, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Add to the wok and stir gently. Serve with freshly ground Szechuan pepper and steamed rice.
This recipe was submitted by Hans de Koning.