Here are easy instructions showing how to dry fry tofu.
- Drain (press) 3/4 - 1 pound of firm or extra firm tofu (I prefer to use extra-firm tofu).
- While the tofu is draining, prepare a marinade or sauce.
- Cut the tofu into triangular pieces about 1/2 inch thick. (You can also cut the tofu into cubes but I find triangles easiest to work with).
- Place the tofu triangles in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, making sure they are laid out flat.
- Cook the tofu until it is golden brown, pressing down firmly on the tofu triangles with a spatula during cooking. You will hear hissing and see the water coming out of the tofu as it cooks.
- Turn the tofu triangles over and dry fry the other side, pressing down with the spatula and cooking until golden brown.(I found it took about 10 minutes total to dry fry 3/4 pound of extra-firm tofu cut into 16 triangular pieces).
- Remove from the pan. Add the dry fried tofu to a sauce or to a marinade.