- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- Tofu Marinade:
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger
- 1/2 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- Chinese rice wine or dry sherry or water or broth, as needed while stir-frying vegetables
- 10 baby corn cobs
- 1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp. water
2. While the tofu is draining, prepare the marinade. In a bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, light and dark soy sauce, Asian sesame oil, sugar, chili paste, garlic and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate while preparing and dry frying the tofu.
3. Cut the drained tofu into triangles about 1/2 inch thick. Dry-fry the tofu.
4. Remove the marinade from the refrigerator and pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the dry-fried tofu. Refrigerate overnight, turning the bag occasionally so that all the tofu is coated.
5. Next day, prepare the vegetables for stir-frying. Remove the tofu from the bag. Reserved the marinade.
6. Preheat a wok on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger slices and cook for a few seconds until fragrant. Add the onion and the mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, adding water, vegetable broth, or Chinese rice wine or dry sherry if the vegetables begin to dry out.
7. Add the bell pepper. Stir briefly, then add the baby corn. Stir-fry for a minute, then add the tofu slices. Cook briefly, turning gently, to heat the tofu through.
8. Push the vegetables and tofu to the sides of the wok. Add the reserved marinade in the middle of the wok and bring to a boil. Re-stir the cornstarch/water mixture and add to the boiling liquid, stirring quickly to thicken.
9. Stir to combine the sauce with the other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Marinated Tofu - with spinach
Stir-fried Tofu With Mushrooms