Chinese Recipes Index
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3/4 pound firm tofu
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch of cornstarch
- 2 green onions (scallions, spring onions)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 1/4 teaspoon chile paste with garlic
- 2 tablespoons water or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorn or ground coriander
2. Wash the green onions and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
3. Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the chile paste and the chopped garlic. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the ground pork. Stir-fry until the pork is nearly cooked through.
4. Lower the heat to medium, and add the brown bean sauce and the tofu cubes. Cook over medium heat until the tofu is browned (8 to 10 minutes). Add water or chicken broth as needed. Stir in the green onion. Just before serving, sprinkle with the Szechuan peppercorn or ground coriander.
Mapo Tofu - with fermented black beans