- 1 head iceburg lettuce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil (such as Kadoya)
2. Combine the rice wine or dry sherry, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring. Set aside.
3. Heat a wok on medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Stir-fry until aromatic (5 - 10 seconds) and add the lettuce. Stir-fry the lettuce, sprinkling with the salt, for 1 - 2 minutes, until the leaves begin to wilt.
4. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and swirl it into the wok. Stir-fry for 1 - 2 more minutes, until the lettuce turns dark green. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Breakdown based on 6 servings:
Each serving contains: Calories 57, 3 g Carbohydrates, 1 g Protein, 5 g Total Fat, (1 g Saturated Fat, 2 g Monounsaturated Fat, 2 g Polyunsaturated Fat), 0 mg Cholesterol, 1 g Fibre, 273 mg Sodium, 153 mg Potassium.