Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound Chinese longbeans (also called yardlong beans or just longbeans)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 2 scallions (spring onions, green onions), white parts only
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper to taste, optional
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, or as needed
Cut the longbeans on the diagonal into slices approximately 2 inches long.
Chop the garlic, ginger and white part of the scallions.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the longbeans and stir-fry until they start to shrivel or "pucker" and turn brown (5 - 7 minutes). Remove the long beans and drain in a colander or on paper towels.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok on high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and scallions. Stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the chili paste and stir-fry for a few more seconds until aromatic. Add the longbeans and the remaining ingredients. Mix together and serve.
Serving suggestion: Szechuan Green Beans would make an excellent side dish to accompany Mapo Tofu.
How to Make Szechuan Green Beans - step by step photo instructions