Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 tablespoon bean sauce (available at Asian markets; Koon Chun is a good brand, or you can substitute hoisin sauce)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 scallions, chopped, white part only
- 1/2 teaspoon chili paste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, or as needed
Combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
Heat the wok on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons oil, drizzling the oil down the sides of the wok. When the oil is hot, add the beans. Stir-fry for 7 - 10 minutes, until their skins pucker and turn brown and the green beans are tender without being mushy. Remove the beans from the wok.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic, ginger and scallions. Stir-fry briefly for a few seconds until aromatic. Add the chili paste.
Add the sauce and the green beans. Toss the ingredients together and serve hot.