- 1 pound Chinese Cabbage (also called Napa Cabbage or Sui Choy)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 green onion (spring onions)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil, for stir-frying
- 2 - 3 teaspoons chile paste, according to taste
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine, dry sherry, or white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons soy sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed in 4 teaspoons water
2. Heat the wok and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the chile paste. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the garlic. Stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant, and then add the cabbage.
3. Stir-fry the cabbage for 1 minute, splashing with the rice wine or dry sherry and stirring in the salt.
4. Add the water. Turn down the heat, cover, and simmer the cabbage for 3 minutes.
5. Turn the heat back to medium-high. Stir in the sugar and green onion. Stir in the soy sauce if desired.
6. Push the cabbage to the sides of the wok. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick stir and add it in the middle, stirring quickly to thicken. Cook briefly to mix everything together. Serve hot.