Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
Yield: Serves 3 to 4
- 1 14-fluid ounce can baby corn
- 1 398 ml can straw mushrooms (drained weight 8 ounces, about 1 1/4 cups)
- 7 to 8 ounces snow peas (mangetout)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil, for stir-frying
- 1 thin slice (about 1/8-inch) fresh ginger
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth or stock, oyster sauce, sugar, and black pepper. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.
Preheat a wok and add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling so that the oil covers the sides of the bottom half of the wok. When the oil is hot, add the ginger and brown briefly (20 – 30 seconds). Add snow peas and salt. Stir-fry the snow peas for 1 - 2 minutes, until they turn bright green.
Push the snow peas up to the sides of the wok. Add the canned vegetables in the middle. Stir-fry for 1 minute to heat through. (Note: Sprinkle the canned vegetables with Chinese rice wine, dry sherry or water if they begin to dry out).
Push the canned vegetables up to the sides. Re-stir the sauce and add it into the middle of the wok and bring to a boil. Re-stir the cornstarch/water mixture and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. When the sauce thickens, stir-fry briefly to mix the vegetables with the sauce. Remove the wok from the heat and stir in the Asian sesame oil. Serve the stir-fried vegetables hot over cooked rice.
Video: How to Stir Fry Vegetables
More Stir-fry Recipes
More Chinese Vegetables Recipes
Main Chinese Food Recipe File