Yield: 3- 4 servings as a side dish
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil for stir-frying, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, divided
- 1/2 pound broccoli, stems chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, flowerets chopped in half if needed (2 /3 4 – 3 cups chopped)
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 12 ounce can baby corn cobs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I used 1 1/2 tablespoons)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a preheated wok. Add half the chopped garlic. Stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Then add the broccoli. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon sugar and a pinch (about 1/8 teaspoon) salt over. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for a few minutes until the broccoli is tender but still a bit crisp, adding another tablespoon water if needed to keep broccoli from drying out. Remove the broccoli from the pan and drain in a colander. Wipe out the pan.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. Add the ginger and remaining garlic. Add the red bell pepper. Stir briefly then add the baby corn. Stir to heat through. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
Add the broccoli back into the wok. Push the vegetables to the sides. Give the sauce a quick re-stir and add into the middle and bring to boiling. Re-stir the cornstarch/water mixture and add into the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Stir to combine the vegetables with the sauce.
Remove the wok from the heat. Stir in the sesame oil. Sprinkle the vegetables with the toasted sesame seeds before serving.
Video: How to Stir fry Vegetables
More Stir-fry Recipes